One stop that was inadvertently left out is the view of Chamberlayne Avenue from Hood's Nursery. This view, at the corner of Westwood Avenue, looks west towards the Union Theological Seminary, recently renamed Union Presbyterian Seminary. The two houses in the picture are still standing.
One block away stood "THE HOUSE OF BRUCE" at 3500. On the back of this post card is printed: The House of Bruce, Modern and Distinctive Guest Accommodations, Excellent Meals, Private and Connecting Baths, Steam Heat and Garage. A guest wrote simply "Picture of the place we stayed in Richmond."
Another view of the early days of Chamberlayne, before the advent of the tourist home, is here. This is the west side of the 3600 block. The first house was built by Garland Pollard, who went on to become a governor of Virginia. The next house belong to the Ruffin family of Ruffin and Payne lumber. The third house was built by Mann Sycle in 1908; his family owned a men's department store downtown.
Across the street, at 3607 was the "CHAMBERLAYNE LODGE TOURIST HOME and TEA ROOM". The proprietor was Mrs. H.E. Haden.
Two doors down, at 3609, was TOLVIS GUEST HOME. "A Home Away From Home" is printed on the back, along with the name of Mrs. K.P. Jarvis, Hostess.
"PARK LODGE", one of the few tourist homes that still stands, is at 3806 Chamberlayne Avenue. Mr. and Mrs. Julian Gilkeson were the owners. Along with the usual details about rooms with private baths, this had the added distinction of being recommended by Duncan Hines, himself.
This house still stands, as does its twin at 4800 Chamberlayne.
The last house is "THE VIRGINIAN" at 4832. This was owned by Mrs. George M. Sawyer. The condition of the curb looks rundown and Watkins Street at the corner looks unpaved. Although still standing, the porch was removed and only deck railing now surrounds the existing porch floor.